The AQA Foundation Technical Level in Scripting and App Development is a technical qualification developed by AQA with industry specialists; designed to prepare students professionally and academically for careers and degrees in software engineering, web & app development, and computer science.
The Technical Level is offered as part of the Thetford TechBacc programme and is one of the three components of the TechBacc.
There is a strong focus on the practical application of knowledge, and a requirement for meaningful employer engagement. In previous years we have worked with freelance web developers, and the Aviva Digital Foundry in Norwich.
There are 4 mandatory units:
- Fundamental Principles of Computing (External Written Exam)
- Computer Programming (External Written Exam)
- Website Technologies (Internal Assessment)
- Mobile Applications Programming (Internal Assessment)
- Learn how to develop web and mobile apps.
- Learn about the fundamentals of programming and computer science.
- Learn how to program and code in HTML, CSS, PHP, C#, using event-driven and object-oriented models.
- Understand what it means to be an agile software developer.
GCSE maths grade 5, computer science grade 5. Students who do not have strong pass in computer science can submit a portfolio of their programming.
Career / higher education opportunities
Previous students have progressed to Level 4 Apprenticeships in Software Development, BSc in computer science, and internships in the IT industry.
The Technical Level prepares students to access jobs from the Tier 2 Shortage Occupations List.
The following are examples of job opportunities within this sector: Computer programmer, analyst-programmer, games programmer or software engineer. Companies that might employ someone with this qualification are: Web companies, app development companies, software houses, games development companies. Some learners may choose to work for themselves.
AQA Level 3 Foundation Technical Level IT: Scripting and App Programming (360 GLH)