NPQSL: National Professional Qualification for Senior Leadership
Who is this course for?
- Middle leaders who are aspiring to senior leadership and meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Likely to be in a senior leadership role in the next 12-18 months
- Have completed at least one year at a middle leadership level
- May have served on an extended SLT
- Those currently in senior leadership roles who fit within the guidance below:
- Senior leaders should have responsibility for the results of a team, and line manage at least one middle leader
- Will serve on the senior leadership of the school, and attend SLT meetings
- In secondary schools, senior leaders will have roles such as assistant headteacher or assistant/vice-principals
- In large secondary schools, heads of large departments and faculties, leaders may have responsibility commensurate with that of senior leaders
- In primary schools, senior leaders will have roles such as assistant/associate headteacher or assistant/vice-principals as well as substantive whole-school responsibilities
- If the senior leader is aspiring to headship, or is a deputy headteacher in secondary / deputy or assistant headteacher in primary, this person is likely to be more suited to NPQH
What is the duration and expected commitment of the course?
- Nine twilight training sessions
- Pre-training and post training reading
- All participants must lead an improvement project across their school, lasting at least two terms, to reduce variation in pupil progress and attainment and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of teaching.
What is the content of the course?
The NPQSL qualification will focus on the core content areas which are common across our NPQ courses:
- Leadership skills and impact
- Teaching and learning
- Curriculum and assessment
- Strategy and improvement
- Operational management
How am I assessed?
- A written assessment
- A compulsory viva assessment alongside the required written assessment
What is the application process?
We ask for your CV and a letter explaining why you want to take part on this particular course with Inspiration Trust and Ambition Institute.
You will also need to include a letter from your in-school sponsor (this should be a head teacher or equivalent) which outlines why they think you are suitable for this course and their commitment to giving you the appropriate time and support to complete the course.
Find out more
Applications will open in autumn 2019 for our next courses, staring early 2020. To be the first to hear about future courses, register your interest using the button below.