Free school meals
Your child may have free meals when they are at school full time if you receive:
- Income support
- Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
- Employment support allowance (income-related)
- Child tax credit, and you are not entitled to receive working tax credit, and you have a taxable income of less than £16,190 as shown on your tax credit award summary
- The guaranteed element of the state pension credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
If you are aged between 16 and 19 and you receive income support, you may also be entitled to free school meals.
Note: Where a parent is entitled to working tax credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, their children are entitled to free school lunches.