We expect our students to be proud to belong to Jane Austen College and represent the college positively, so it is important that they are smartly dressed in full college uniform. Our standards are high and the college uniform should be worn correctly every day.
Please help us to maintain these high standards by ensuring students are appropriately dressed when they leave for school each day.
Our main uniform supplier is John Lewis and items can be purchased either online or instore (on All Saints Green in Norwich). Unless otherwise stated, all items of uniform should be purchased through our official supplier.
Shirts can be purchased from any retailer as long as they are smart school shirts of the same style as the shirts available through our supplier. If in doubt please check with the school. Girls’ shirts must have an open collar. Short-sleeved shirts can be worn in the summer term only.
Shoes, PE trainers, coats, and bags can be purchased from any retailer.
- Grey blazer with logo
- Smart, tailored black trousers
- Long-sleeved white shirt
- Red and grey school tie
- Red V-neck jumper (optional)
- Smart, black, leather or leather ‘look’ shoes, not trainer style. Shoes should be worn with black or dark-coloured socks. Boots must not be worn at any time.
- Grey blazer with logo
- Long-sleeved white shirt with open collar
- Smart, black, leather or leather ‘look’ shoes , not trainer style, without a high heel. Shoes should be worn with white socks or thick/opaque black tights. Boots must not be worn at any time.
- Girls choosing not to wear the kilt may wear smart tailored black trousers, which are available through our supplier.
PE kit (for boys and girls)
- Red polo shirt with logo
- Black sweatshirt with logo
- Plain black PE shorts or plain black jogging bottoms.
- Red rugby shirt (optional) A rugby shirt will need to be worn by students choosing to take part in winter field sports such as football or rugby, as part of the electives programme. This can also be worn as an alternative to the polo shirt in normal PE lessons.
- PE socks
- Students choosing to take part in field sports such as football or rugby as part of the electives programme will also need a pair of football boots
- Students should use the Jane Austen PE bag only
Bags and coats
- Coats are to be smart without large logos and branding. We would encourage parents to choose coats with reflective strips, for safety. Hoodies are not permitted.
- Bags should be predominantly black, without large logos and branding. Bags need to be suitable for carrying student books and equipment e.g. backpack or satchel styles.
- Students may also use our red Jane Austen College PE bags if they choose.
- One pair of small metal stud earrings may be worn. No facial piercings are permitted.
- Ear tunnels, stretchers and plugs are not permitted.
- No rings, necklaces or bracelets are to be worn, apart from medical alert jewellery.
- A watch may be worn.
- Make-up is not to be worn until students are in Year 9, at which point it needs to be subtle and discreet. Nail varnish should not be worn.
- Hair styles and colours should not be extreme. We would strongly suggest that parents discuss hairstyles and colours with the school beforehand if they are in any doubt as to whether they might be considered extreme. This will avoid potential issues.
Help with uniform costs
The Anguish's Educational Foundation offers grants to help pay for school uniform and other educational costs for families living in Norwich. Please visit their website for more details.