We are delighted to continue our transition work in close collaboration with our local primary schools. For the past two years East Point Academy has played an active role in the South Lowestoft transition leaders' forum and the group is chaired by our transition leader here at the academy. This forum gives us opportunity to hear from our local schools and discuss best practice in serving our community and giving our young people a chance to settle in and flourish throughout their secondary school careers.
Here are some of the events and activities we have held over the past year, and which we hope to continue into 2017:
- Senior leadership attendance at primary school parents' evenings
- Assemblies at primary schools led by former pupils and our trained Year 10 transition ambassadors
- Design & technology, STEM, and art workshops taken into primary schools and held at East Point Academy in our STEM LEGO suite
- Music workshops at East Point Academy for pupils as young as nursery age up to Year 6 with Suffolk Music School
- School sports events and sports days run by our Key Stage 4 sports leaders for Key Stage 2 pupils
- Close liaison with subject leaders so that East Point staff are more aware of what has been taught
- Pupils from one primary academy were taught on site for five weeks to ensure close communication and familiarity of staff and surroundings
- Over 70 meetings with families were completed by the SLT to ensure that we have a full understanding of every pupil joining the academy
- Hosted all Year 6 pupils from July 11 until the end of term to ensure that they were completely aware of the school, rules, regulations and timings
- Free music lessons for pupils joining in Year 7
For 2016-2017, East Point Academy looks forward to welcoming Year 5 and 6 pupils to an afternoon performance of our school production in late January. Of course, all are welcome to our open mornings throughout the autumn term and our open evening on October 5. We will also be running private tuition through the summer holiday period to help the transition process.
If you would like to discuss any issues regarding transition please contact Mrs Wisher at email@example.com
We look forward to meeting you over the next few weeks.