NPQH: National Professional Qualification for Headship
Who is this course for?
- Deputy heads who are aspiring to headship and meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You will probably be in a headship role in the next 12-18 months
- You will have completed at least one year at a deputy head level
- As this programme is for those whose next step is headship, eligibility is limited to deputy and associate headteachers in secondary settings, and deputy, associate and assistant heads in primary. Assistant heads in secondary whose role is commensurate to that of a deputy head are also eligible
- You will have evidence of having made substantial positive impact on a school
- Those currently in headship roles
What is the duration and expected commitment of the course?
- Six full days' training
- Core modules with access to diagnostic and project planning tools
- All participants must lead a change programme at whole-school level, lasting at least two terms, to improve pupil progress and attainment. They will need to present the plan to their governing board prior to implementation, and gather their feedback.
- All participants must undertake a placement in a contrasting school (for example, by performance, pupil profile, geography), lasting at least nine working days
What is the content of the course?
The NPQH qualification will focus on the core content areas which are common across our NPQ courses:
- Leadership skills and impact
- Teaching and learning
- Curriculum and assessment
- Strategy and omprovement
- Operational management
How am I assessed?
- A written assessment
- A compulsory viva assessment alongside the required written assessment
What are the costs?
The cost for this course is £1500. If your school is in an opportunity area such as Norwich, Ipswich or the Fenlands and East Cambridgeshire, the costs of this course will be met from Opportunity Area funding.
What is the application process?
We ask for your CV and a letter explaining why you want to take part on this particular course with Inspiration Trust and Ambition School Leadership.
You will also need to include a letter from your in-school sponsor (this should be a head teacher, Executive Head or equivalent) which outlines why they think you are suitable for this course and their commitment to giving you the appropriate time and support to complete the course. Please note that for the NPQH, applicants will be asked to attend an interview before being accepted for the course.
When does the next course start?
Our current course is underway, and our next course is planned to begin in January 2019. To register your interest and keep informed about future courses, please click the button below.