Students make their mark on referendum day
Published on 23/06/16
Students at two Norfolk schools have had their say on Europe, as the country goes to the polls to decide whether to remain in or leave the European Union.
Mock referendum votes were held at Hethersett Academy, near Norwich, and at Thetford Academy on June 23.
At Hethersett Academy, students backed Prime Minister David Cameron's Remain campaign, voting 62% to 38% to continue membership of the EU.
Students also had the chance to give reasons for their votes with comments for staying in including "we have experienced the largest period of European peace so it is important to stay" and "we should remain because there is too much uncertainty about the future".
Those voting to exit gave reasons including "if we leave we could have safer control of our borders and more money to protect them" and concerns about unemployment levels in Greece.
At Thetford Academy the vote was closer but still came down in favour of Brussels.
Students cast their votes 54.5% in favour of remaining in the EU and 45.5% for breaking away.